Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ben Carson: It was OK for me to do research on aborted fetuses
(08-17-2015, 08:59 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: When do you think human beings get individual rights?

I have changed my stance multiple times on abortion. After some thought recently I came to a conclusion that human life begins at conception. My reasoning behind this is that the fertilized egg is alive, and it has the DNA of a human; making it a human being . The reason why sperm cells or ovum (the egg) are not human beings, are because they only contain half of the DNA of a human. The reason why it doesn't need brain activity, or a heartbeat is because it's already alive. The reason why it's not a part of the mother is that it has it's own individual set of DNA apart from it's mothers DNA (see what I did there).

Sorry, I meant to answer your question sooner.  When a human becomes an individual is closely connected to when life begins.  (At least, I think so in most cases.)  As you can see from this thread alone, there isn't one universally correct answer.  My answer is probably different than your answer.  That doesn't make my answer correct and your answer wrong.  But, each of our answers is based upon our beliefs, morals, and values.  My beliefs, morals, and values don't trump your's and vice versa.  

I don't believe in abortion as a means of birth control.  So let's discuss prenatal genetic testing as an example.  Let's suppose the triple screen and amniocentesis confirm a neural tube defect and an ultrasound reveals anencephaly.  That birth defect is pretty much incompatible with life.  Maybe just a few hours after birth.  That couple is faced with the decision to terminate the pregnancy or give birth to a child which will only live a few hours.  That is not the time for me to impose my beliefs upon them.  

So I believe people should make their own decisions based upon their own values, morals, and beliefs and not based upon mine or yours.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ben Carson: It was OK for me to do research on aborted fetuses - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-21-2015, 11:16 AM