Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB Confidence Index: Rating all 32 NFL quarterback situations
(12-01-2017, 11:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1) I guess I can see why you selected 50 rushing attempts as your cut off point. That way, you don't have to list these guys:

Matt Ryan: 37 carries, 63 yards (1.7 YPC)
Tom Brady: 34 carries, 53 yards (1.6 YPC)
Sam Bradford: 26 carries, 39 yards (1.5 YPC)
Kirk Cousins: 26 carries, 48 yards (1.8 YPC)
Carson Palmer: 25 carries, 24 yards (1.0 YPC)
Drew Brees: 24 carries, 14 yards (0.6 YPC)
Nick Foles: 17 carries, 20 yards (1.2 YPC)
Phillip Rivers: 17 carries, 28 yards (1.6 YPC)
Matt Hasselbeck: 16 carries, 15 yards (0.9 YPC)

Despite having fewer carries than Dalton, the YPC is lower, which means they dragged their teams YPC down just as much. So, to be fair, maybe we should remove all QB rushing numbers. Either that, or we can stop being silly and just look at team YPC, knowing that most QB's have a marginal affect on the YPC number. Including Andy that year.

2) No. We don't agree. You think a run game that ranked 13th in yards (7th in attempts) and 23rd in YPC qualifies as "good" (see post #23). I think those numbers are average at best. Especially considering the number of attempts. We ran a lot, but we were middle of the pack in yards and bottom 3rd in YPC. 

3) It  is easy. 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017. Dalton ranked at least 15th in passer rating in each of those years, and didn't have a good run game in any of them. I know you said "consistent", but honestly what does that even mean? Either the run game was good or it wasn't. The numbers say it wasn't in any of these years. 

I would only say the receivers were "great" in 2013 and 2015. I think most would agree with me. As for the line, they gave up 40+ sacks in 3 of the 5 years I listed (including this year - they're on pace to allow 41).

Your Cousins example is interesting. First off, he's not having an MVP caliber season. Heck, most of his stats aren't all that much better than Dalton's right now. Sure he's got Andy in yards. The Skins chuck it around a lot under Gruden, especially since they're losing. Dalton has a 92.5 rating with 18 TDs and 8 INTs. Cousins has a 99.6 rating with 21 TDs and 8 INTs. 

Fwiw, Cousins just played on Thurday, so that helps his yardage ranking a bit. Not that yardage is an end-all stat. 

Actually I chose 50 because it is a nice round number that would include Dalton's stats and was enough attempts to have an impact on a team's YPA. It was no underhanded attempt of slighting Andy as I picked EVERY QB that fit the criteria; it appears your criteria was to pick and choose those that had a lower YPC than Andy.  Are you sure you understand how averages work?

I am not the one that said consistent running game, the post that I responded to that got the Dalton Duo (Shake and Brownshoe) in a tizzy said consistent ; the other half of the Dalton Duo decided to change consistent to good to fit his narrative.

And some would say that a WR corp that has AJ Green and me is great. Giving your opinions the benefit of the doubt you can come up with about 3 years that Andy was above average (in most cases slightly) when he wasn't surrounded by talented players.

As to Cousins he was number 2 in passing yards prior to Thursday and as to 99.6 isn't "that much better" than 92.5 then I'm sure you'd agree than Andy is having a season more similar to Jacoby Brisset than Kirk Cousins. They only reason Cousins is not in MVP talks is because his team is struggling; he's doing great. It reminds me of the time someone in the forum tried to say Andy was better than Kirk because of contract situation. 

I get that your role in the forum is to be lead Dalton Defender, but it's good to look at things rationally from time to time. Nothing in the original post that I responded to has been disproven; unless one wants to try to make the argument that a rushing attack that is top half in the league in yardage and TDs is not consistent (regular/ dependable/steady).

But enough of the back and forth, as I realize the Dalton Duo will be on cue to defend all things Dalton including this very thread when it was stated that Andy requires a good linen consistent runners, and elite receivers to crack the Top 10 as the only time he has done it in his 7 year career was the year he had all three.   
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: QB Confidence Index: Rating all 32 NFL quarterback situations - bfine32 - 12-02-2017, 10:27 AM