Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the OL blocking scheme too complex?
I was just looking up some stuff on Bodine in a thread in the NFL Draft section and came across this article on Bodine after the 2015 season.
One thing stuck out to me that made me wonder....is the blocking scheme too complex for new players to grasp?
Quote:To be fair to Bodine and show not all hope is lost with him, offensive line coach Paul Alexander runs a complex blocking scheme that takes a few years for players to fully grasp. Just looking at the current Bengals lineman, Clint Boling, Kevin Zeitler, Andre Smith and even Andrew Whitworth made dramatic jumps in their level of play in Year 3 and Year 4.
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/2/21/11014908/bengals-exit-interview-center-russell-bodine

Obviously Bodine is now in Year 4 and he hasn't shown improvement, so therefore the hope from the Feb 2016 article didn't actually manifest, but I think that if the OL blocking scheme really is so complicated, it needs to change to a simpler one. And that likely only happens if the architect of the scheme, Paul Alexander, is gone.

Your thoughts?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Is the OL blocking scheme too complex? - ochocincos - 12-04-2017, 04:53 PM