Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The US just recognized Jerusalem as Israel's capital
(12-06-2017, 08:47 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I believe it is a gambit, part of negotiations by Trump to bring Palestine back to the table. It's their way of saying, "Hey, you walked away. So we will just lend credence to Israel's claim on Jerusalem. But if you wanna come back and talk, we can still discuss this." The quotes from Trump and Nut-in-honey-yahoo seem to indicate this.

It could pay off big or fail miserably for the Prez. I'll give him credit for trying a new approach, anyway.

Did Palestinians "walk away"? If we are talking about the most recent (2013-14) attempts to jump start the peace process, seems like the Israelis are to blame. Again.

E.g., Netanyahu insisted on a united (i.e., Israeli controlled) Jerusalem, recognition of Israel as a Jewish state, and categorically denied any Palestinian right of return to a state so defined.
http://www.jpost.com/Diplomacy-and-Politics/Netanyahu-rejects-Palestinian-right-of-return-to-Israel-329895

So far as I can tell, "coming back to discuss" would only mean reiteration of the aforementioned demands with no concessions beyond release of a few prisoners (already scheduled for release years ago) and continued Israeli control of the West Bank with increasing settlement.

Until now, the US has had some, if minimal, credibility as an impartial negotiator between Israel and Palestinians. It was upon that minimal credibility  that negotiations depended for international recognition and respect. The US stood for a two state solution (with Palestinian power of bilateral negotiations) and condemned the settlements and wanted the occupation to end.

I don't see how the US can expect continued credibility after we have just thrown our weight behind one of Israel's most contested bargaining points.  Israel has continually called for peace while continuing to settle the West bank, creating a huge block of Israeli voters who don't want to leave the West Bank. Netanyatu announced more settlements DURING THE LAST ROUND OF NEGOTIATIONS to the great frustration of Obama and Kerry.

To most of the world the message is pretty clear--Jews, Muslims and Christians are called to "work for peace" while acknowledging complete Israeli hegemony over Palestine.

[Image: Occupied-Palestine-Map-2-Stu.jpeg]

For this to be a GAMBIT there would have to be a possibility that Israel would retract its claim for a unified Jerusalem capital. That became less, not more likely, because of Trump's move.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The US just recognized Jerusalem as Israel's capital - Dill - 12-07-2017, 01:31 AM