Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The US just recognized Jerusalem as Israel's capital
(12-07-2017, 01:01 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: And that leads us to Trump. Netanyahu has long maintained that they had to play 'hard' with the Palestinians to get them to the table. The Obama Admin tried to play a "good cop, bad cop" routine with the Palestinians to get them to the table ("We know Netty is mean and all, but we're your buddies. Come and sit at the table and we'll help you talk to this guy"). It was worth a try, but they didn't bite. After attempting that, an admin can't 'go back to the drawing room' and come up with a different approach. You sort of have to remain consistent in your approach.

That leaves the door open for Trump to try the new approach. And for all of his faults, he actually may be the right guy in the right pace at the right time to do this. It will not happen overnight. But if he can just get the Palestinians to the table, more than half the battle is won. And this would be a MASSIVE coup for his embattled and unpopular admin. Honestly, I wish him well and I hope that it works.

The part I cut out of your post was an excellent overview, B-Zona. 

I disagree with your reading of Netanyahu, though. I don't think he wants Palestinians to come to the table. When he has them there, he does all he can to send them away again. That is the point of "playing hard."

At the moment, what could Palestinians hope to gain by "coming to the table"? Their leaders keep giving up major concessions, but nothing changes on the ground--except in the favor of Israel.  The things they want, like autonomy, the ability to farm their own lands, an end to occupation, are not what Netanyahu and the Likud want.

I think their response will have to be another Intifada. The Israeli response will be hard to spin away in international media.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The US just recognized Jerusalem as Israel's capital - Dill - 12-07-2017, 01:44 AM