Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ben Carson: It was OK for me to do research on aborted fetuses
(08-23-2015, 01:05 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: I'm well aware of Gibbons v Ogden, and I actually agree with the merits of their decision. 

The difference with this sort of situation IMO is the 1st amendment. 

As for how does one morally object to gay weddings, I would say that one way would be to not provide any services for a gay wedding, but apparently that's not acceptable. 

Gays get protection under the constitution, which is fine with me.  I think they should have the same rights as everyone else.  I'm all for it. 

I think that faith-based business deserves that same right and protection under the constitution. 

My brother in law manages a pizza place.  He was telling me that they stopped delivering to a bad neighborhood after 7:30pm.  Are the people in that neighborhood being discriminated against? 

As Matt said, the issue with challenging these laws with the 1st amendment is you have to prove a burden on practicing your religion. Does baking a cake really burden your free practice of your religion. You also chose to go into a business that compels you to serve all customers. Jews, Christians, Muslims, and atheists all have to follow these laws. They all also have the freedom to practice their religion, but you need to make a compelling argument as to how serving someone infringes on that right. 

As for my morality question, I was curious about how one justifies homophobia as an issue of morality. What is inherently immoral about a gay wedding?

Your brother in law is not discriminating. He still provides service to anyone who comes in, he just protects his employees and his profits by not delivering to certain areas. My favorite Chinese joint isn't discriminating by not delivering to someone outside their 10 mile radius. Both places accommodate by allowing customers to carry out. Likewise, a bakery can avoid a lawsuit by accommodating by making a cake and requiring the same sex couple to purchase their own topper and put it on the cake. That way, all they did was bake a cake. It's the same thing the bakery did when they refused to put anti gay hate speech on a cake. They offered to sell the man the supplies to write the words himself, after they baked the cake. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ben Carson: It was OK for me to do research on aborted fetuses - BmorePat87 - 08-23-2015, 01:20 PM