Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Economy under Trump
I want to preface this by saying that I am not someone that thinks the POTUS has much of anything to do with the economy. Yes, fiscal and monetary policy play a role, however, there are many other factors that make the direct actions by any POTUS only a small cog in a vast machine. This opinion piece I saw over the weekend and some recent discussions on here have made me think about these specific deals that Trump has supposedly made.

What is interesting about this is that some will say that there was some magic switch when Trump was elected that made the economy go gangbusters. Immediate turnaround. The interesting thing about this is that 2016 saw more jobs added per month than 2017 has seen. The unemployment rate has not decreased at a quicker rate than it did under Obama, which is what these supposed deals have been all about: keeping jobs in the US/moving them back here.

The GDP growth has been better than last year, but there haven't been any policies enacted that would have an impact on this in any way. I'm not providing specific numbers for any of this, but it's all on the BLS and BEA websites if you feel like looking.

A Quinnipiac poll in November also saw that 50% of people say Obama is responsible for the current economic state. This is a decrease than previous months, which is to be expected as we move away from inauguration. What is interesting is the views of the economy when seen in partisan terms. I always find it interesting how people have a skewed perception of the economy based on who is in office. I digress.

So anyway, I was curious how you feel. I'll use the questions from the Q poll:

Would you describe the state of the nation's economy these days as excellent, good, not so good, or poor?

Who do you believe is more responsible for the current state of the economy: former President Obama or President Trump?

Messages In This Thread
Economy under Trump - Belsnickel - 12-11-2017, 11:59 AM
RE: Economy under Trump - GMDino - 12-11-2017, 12:13 PM
RE: Economy under Trump - Belsnickel - 12-11-2017, 12:17 PM
RE: Economy under Trump - GMDino - 12-11-2017, 12:20 PM
RE: Economy under Trump - Belsnickel - 12-11-2017, 12:29 PM
RE: Economy under Trump - GMDino - 12-11-2017, 01:19 PM
RE: Economy under Trump - Dill - 12-14-2017, 04:18 PM
RE: Economy under Trump - Yojimbo - 12-11-2017, 12:41 PM
RE: Economy under Trump - Belsnickel - 12-11-2017, 01:26 PM
RE: Economy under Trump - GMDino - 12-11-2017, 01:29 PM
RE: Economy under Trump - Benton - 12-11-2017, 01:34 PM