Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump may face a reckoning in case brought by female accuser
(12-12-2017, 12:48 AM)hollodero Wrote: I guess many just resign because the allegations are true. As for Trump/Moore, while I absolutely do understand your position as soon as the number of accusers gets higher and higher the allegations get more credible. At least I have a hard time believing multiple women would put their reputation on the line with completely false claims just to bring down someone they politically oppose.

In our culture of completely partisan politics, I have no trouble envisioning a group willing to make false claims to take down a politician.

(12-12-2017, 01:30 AM)GMDino Wrote: Franken had that picture.  And I think he just doesn't want to be a distraction.  I also think good people, even if they feel they didn't do what they are accused of will sometimes look at the situation and not want to fight so that others can feel free to tell their stories.

Not saying I agree.

Conyers was probably more guilty.  And he's 140.

But I get what you're saying.  If it was me and I knew I was innocent I'd say that.  The culture right though makes it very hard to stand up for yourself while also not bringing down the accusers who may be telling the truth.

And when the number of named accusers is over a dozen?  I don't think they are ALL making it up.   You also can't just say they are ALL lying without looking bad.

I don't think the picture was so much of a problem for Franke. He didn't resign until new allegations were reported, allegations which we were not privy to outside of the fact that people made them.

But if you are standing up for yourself and you honestly didn't do anything, how could your accuser be telling the truth and why would you be concerned about 'bringing them down'? It seems to me that people who make false accusations need to be exposed. Also, I'm not convinced that all (or even most) of the people making accusations are really risking that much.

I suspect that every male celebrity, sports star or politician has a number of accusations against them during the course of their life just by sheer exposure of their position. In some cases, they are true and in some they are not. That's sort of the thing about allegations, isn't it. And the nature of sexual harassment allegations are that they are generally "he said, she said" type situations. There is no evidence either way.

On the other hand, sexual assault is a different beast. There generally is physical evidence to support, so long as that evidence is processed in a timely manner (i.e. some types of biological evidence aren't going to hang around forever). It is also a much more severe crime. Or so it used to be. It seems that in our current culture, accusations of sexual harassment are the same as accusations of sexual assault. I'm not sure that that should be the case.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump may face a reckoning in case brought by female accuser - Bengalzona - 12-12-2017, 10:12 AM