Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about electric
(12-12-2017, 02:29 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Should we receive more for the electric we don't use from the electric company and what if we have solar panels on our homes? Should we receive the same rate the electric company charges or how about cutting it in half since its their infrastructure?

What if I was able to get my neighborhood to all put solar panels on our homes and pump out more energy than we use? Should the electric company cut us a check every month?

I'm not too familiar with this, alternative energy policy is my brother-in-law's specialty and I'm more of just an admin and analyst type, but it is my understanding that there are places where policies like this exist. I know that energy companies will buy excess from people with solar panels in some places. I don't know the rates, and I doubt it is what the company would charge, but the CBA on it all comes out to a benefit for the homeowner with solar panels.

All of this will be done at the municipal level as that is where utilities are managed. You could look into your local power company and see if they have any of these buyback programs and what those rates would be like. Also, depending on the structure of the power company you deal with, you may be able to have some input. For example, my local power company is a commission that is a quasi-governmental agency for the city. It has a board that is appointed by city council and they hold public hearings. So if your locality has something similar and you have questions/suggestions, then find out when and where they meet and get involved.

Messages In This Thread
Question about electric - Nebuchadnezzar - 12-12-2017, 02:29 AM
RE: Question about electric - Belsnickel - 12-12-2017, 10:22 AM
RE: Question about electric - Bengalzona - 12-12-2017, 10:42 AM
RE: Question about electric - Yojimbo - 12-12-2017, 11:14 AM
RE: Question about electric - ballsofsteel - 12-15-2017, 07:01 AM