Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.14 Average
Antonio Brown 10x better than AJ
(12-13-2017, 10:37 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: So quite a few WRs (more than I initially thought would be) get a 1,000 yards so that makes it "meh"? How about ranking 8th in total receiving yards of current, active WRs? I get what you're saying, tho. He doesn't put up other worldly numbers like AB and Fitz used to. I don't know how much of that you can pin on "the system" (Bengals, well, being the Bengals). But he's the model for consistency. Dude is a shoe in for a thousand yards and 6-10 TDs a year. And consistency is huge in this league.

Personally, I didn't mind what he did in the Jags game. Dude got in his grill and he wasn't having it. Sometimes you have to send that message. Some of his other antics I am not to found of, but I think we can probably chalk that up to what happens when you're losing. I hope he learns from that.

I see AJs main problem is against physical DBs that press the line of scrimmage and his catching at times (he has a catch percentage of 59%..compared to Sanu's 61, Marvins 62.3, and Andrew Hawkins 65%). His speed has never been in question IMO. Clearly he's not faster than AB, but that's why AB is a GOAT. I guess I just don't like down-playing a good player because they're not the best of the best (not saying you are...but thread title is totally down-playing his ability). 

AJ will go down as the Bengals most prolific WR in Bengals history, and it's really no contest outside of Ocho's records.

I think Chad in his prime was better.  What AJ needs, desperately, is for Ross to get up to speed (pardon the pun) quickly and Core and Malone to continue to develop.  He is like Fitzgerald before John Brown (I think that is his name) started playing for AZ.  He was their lone threat and his numbers paid for it.  He isn't the phone booth quick guy, but is sure-handed and a nightmare if given time.  When Brown took the proverbial top off the defense, Fitz soared again. 

Even Antonio Brown had a decline when he lost his vertical threat, but now with the other weapons around him, he is a menace. 

One situation that is eerily similar to the Bengals is the NY Giants.  They had a very talented trio coming in to the year with OBJ, Shepard, and Brandon Marshall.  Looked really good as matchups coming in to the season, but a lack of creativity on offense, poor offensive line play, and a lack of a running game doomed them...that, and a ton of injuries.  

I think the Bengals brass needs to reevaluate where they spend the dollars and get more 3rd and 4th round weapons on offense, but focus on the offensive line.  Ditto the defensive line.  Looks as though we are in the running again for DT, although I like our young DEs (wish they would move MJ inside on passing downs for good and play Lawson and Willis more).

If Ross, Core, and Malone get the opportunity next year and make the most of it, AJ will be back to top tier status.  I just hope we address the line and get an OC with more creativity.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Antonio Brown 10x better than AJ - J24 - 12-11-2017, 02:15 AM
RE: Antonio Brown 10x better than AJ - BMK - 12-11-2017, 11:51 AM
RE: Antonio Brown 10x better than AJ - SHRacerX - 12-14-2017, 12:24 PM
RE: Antonio Brown 10x better than AJ - J24 - 12-11-2017, 12:33 PM
RE: Antonio Brown 10x better than AJ - J24 - 12-11-2017, 09:23 PM
RE: Antonio Brown 10x better than AJ - J24 - 12-12-2017, 12:54 AM
RE: Antonio Brown 10x better than AJ - BMK - 12-12-2017, 10:55 AM
RE: Antonio Brown 10x better than AJ - J24 - 12-11-2017, 09:31 PM
RE: Antonio Brown 10x better than AJ - J24 - 12-12-2017, 12:56 AM