Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you use a 1st Round pick on someone you knew we wouldn't keep?
(12-16-2017, 08:33 AM)ah5 Wrote: I think Zeitlers scenario is he wanted WAY more money than he is worth.  Letting Whit walk was just plain stupid.  Correct me if I am wrong but im not even sure Zeitler is a top 15 guard. 

He's easily top 10, though him being the highest paid guard of all time is quite generous.  
Agree with your assessment on Whit.  To not use the tag if they only wanted a 1 year deal was beyond dumb.   

As for the OP question: I think that you should always take the player that you believe would most benefit the team(1-2 year timeframe). If someone winds up paying them more than they're actually worth, there's no way to really control that. In that scenario, at least the player had enough productive years to warrant being overpaid. To "draft scared" based on what you think the ownership may do also seems a bit silly. Steinbach wound up having a pretty short career due to back injury, and Zeitler may well have been overpaid. Perhaps they really would pay a good guard fair money the next time around? If not, I'd still take the elite guard for the duration of the rookie deal as opposed to watching the QB get turned into hamburger behind UDFA quality schlubs. Why pay a QB if you don't protect him?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you use a 1st Round pick on someone you knew we wouldn't keep? - Bilbo Saggins - 12-16-2017, 08:45 AM