Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you use a 1st Round pick on someone you knew we wouldn't keep?
(12-16-2017, 08:52 AM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: But the salary cap goes up every year.

Every single year there's a new player at each position with the title "highest paid of all time".  If he's a top 10 guard then in 2-3 years he'll be somewhere in the top 10 for guard salaries.  Other guards will be paid more next year, and the year after, and the year after that.

It's a false economy.

It does increase every year, but you'd have to do some math to figure out the pay adjusted for cap inflation to compare the contracts accurately.  You'd probably have to calculate the percentage of the salary vs. total cap at the year of the signing or some such nonsense.  I don't feel like going that hogwild with it, but it "feels" as though a $10 million hike in cap does not justify a $2 million per year difference between Zeitler's contract in 2017 and DeCastro's contract in 2016.  I haven't even touched on guaranteed money(the most important part of the contract for most players/teams - the Bengals may as well guarantee like 90% of the money because they don't cut people to make room for FAs).  This stuff makes my brain itch.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you use a 1st Round pick on someone you knew we wouldn't keep? - Bilbo Saggins - 12-16-2017, 12:52 PM