Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we really have the players to succeed??
(12-18-2017, 07:22 AM)sonofstat Wrote: Even off a losing season the consensus seemed to be that apart from OT/C we had playoff talent across the board helped with a strong infusion of young players - and that it was the coaching blocking us from playoff success

We've had a long look at this team now and I'm really not so sure that the talent is really there like people think...

We seem to have an aging core of pro bowl players who even in their 'peak' did not win a playoff game, we have an awful lot of very pedestrian talent in the middle of the roster, and the youngsters appear to be getting exposed with more playing time.

Is there really any one position where you would say we are really set / playoff quality right now??

Maybe RB with Gio & Mixon  (may be overstating Mixon potential)
Maybe CB with WJax, Dennard and Dre K  (that may be pushing it)
Maybe DE if they play Lawson and Dunlap
Our punter and long snapper are pretty good  (OK , I'm getting desperate here Ninja )

Our OLine is weak,  our Safety play is very limited with no difference makers, our LBs are pedestrian apart from Burfict (who consistently misses time) , our WR group is a mess and our best one is having arguably his worst season, our QBs are limited game managers, our best TE is an injury liability,  DT is Geno and no-one else right now.

At the start of the year I would have been in the camp that's says a Sean McVay type of turnaround with the right HC candidate was a good possibility ..now I'm not so sure

Here's a list of players I consider good or better:
AJ Green
Clint Boling
Joe Mixon
Giovani Bernard
Geno Atkins
Carlos Dunlap
Carl Lawson
Vontaze Burfict
William Jackson III
George Iloka
Darqueze Dennard
Jordan Willis
Andy Dalton

Tyler Kroft I consider a decent enough starter at TE if this team were to deemphasize TE from a pass catching perspective. In other words, if the team makes the TE the fourth or fifth option, Kroft is ok enough.
I consider Shawn Williams to be a rather solid in-the-box SS, but there aren't enough turnovers with the safeties between him and Iloka. Both are SS IMO.
I think Josh Shaw has had a down year, but overall I'd like to keep him around for DB depth. I still think he'd be best used as a roaming FS.

I think the top three positions that need replaced are all on OL. Center absolutely must be upgraded. LT is a desire to upgrade but there may not be a clear cut upgrade in the draft and there doesn't look to be one in upcoming FA. RG I think could be easily upgraded.
When it comes to defense, this team definitely could use another LB to pair with Burfict, and sadly Billings hasn't been what I thought he'd be. But this is essentially his rookie year and he's still really young. I'd like to give Billings one more year at NT before considering a replacement.
As for WR, LaFell absolutely needs to be cut. Honestly, I didn't see a ton from LaFell last year to think he was that much better than Boyd, and I thought both were solid. And LaFell has been awful this year and taking snaps away from the other WRs. If the Bengals wanted to look for an upgrade at WR, I think there are some solid options in FA. Marqise Lee I think would pair well with AJ with Boyd in the slot while Ross and Malone develop.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do we really have the players to succeed?? - ochocincos - 12-18-2017, 12:57 PM