Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Target removes gender based signage for kids
(08-24-2015, 08:44 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Studies have tried to link Autism to a genetic mutation.

So far, no studies have been able to prove any consistent findings. Sound familiar?

Yep, sounds a lot like being gay. We accept that autism is biological, however, and not a behavioral choice. 

Quote:http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/autism/detail_autism.htm

It is a complex developmental disorder that causes problems with thinking, feeling, language and the ability to relate to others.

As a Special Educator, I know all of this, yep.

Quote:Historically it was believed to be a life-long condition, but children these days are responding well to the treatments if caught at an early enough age, they can actually "grow out" of it.

I fear you didn't actually read the link, or you misunderstood it. The study found that 7% "outgrew" their diagnosis (not "many"). Those who had been diagnosed with other conditions in addition to autism were more likely to "outgrow" their diagnosis (it's likely their other condition was causing symptoms similar to those you find in autistic kids). Advocates and other researchers are suggesting that what is most likely occurring is that they were either incorrectly diagnosed with autism or they have learned to behave "normally", which means they still want to engage in obsessive behaviors, but they have been conditioned to suppress it. To compare it to being gay, that's like suggesting someone has been turned straight because they have been repeatedly told that what they do is wrong and not normal, so they date women to make people accept it. Despite this, they still want to date men.

http://healthland.time.com/2013/01/22/new-study-suggests-autism-can-be-outgrown/

Quote:Was that the answer you were looking for when you tried to compare the two?

Acknowledging the fact that since we cannot yet find "the gene", that doesn't mean we should assume someone chooses to engage in a behavior? Yea, I think so.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - BmorePat87 - 08-24-2015, 09:30 PM