Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EXCLUSIVE: Trump’s Mar-a-Lago tax deal veiled from IRS review
(12-21-2017, 10:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While I'm admirable that you take such an interest in US politics, I have to wonder why?  I think that I recently read an article where a far Right, young man was gaining a lot of political momentum in Austria.

ThumbsUp
Yeah, that's probably a fair question. I tend to avoid to get into it, talking about myself too much and stuff. But I will answer like that: This board is my window into the american mind, a microcosm of the political situation. Now that US situation interests me because 1) I get a better idea and hence am the smart one back home and 2) the consequences of the struggle you're in (in my view) are global and, as you rightfully said, also taking place in my country and elsewhere. I see it as a fight of constructive vs. destructive, builders vs. conartists, anger vs. solutions, and also, I say that carefully (please know you're not addressed here), of educated vs. uneducated - and with that, again, I'm not saying every Trump voter is uneducated. Far from it, as I learned on these boards as well. But I also hang on Breitbart, so.

I also see said struggle as probably defining for our times and the future of all our democracies (if it were only yours, I'd say do what you want, of course; and were Rubio your president I might not even be here, I take zero issue with "the right" and feel they actually are on the constructive side, I just take issue with the Bannon-right). And like it or not, the US, as powerful country and our cultural hegemone, is not isolated, the world pays attention, quite close attention these times. I just decided if I pay attention, I might as well be talkative while doing so.

One additional reason is that I kinda like it here. I said it's my window, and I could as well ask why you are all here, you don't need that window, you know all the struggles anyway and I'm actually the only one with something to learn and hence a reason :) it's always a thing of perspective. An Austrian board would bore me, as does my whole country, yours is way more entertaining for sure (plus you have football and I actually like it more than mine). Also, I work at nights and US news channels and these boards are the best distraction available.

Our Austrian young man is not far-right btw., he only made a pact with the far right. As soon as he reaches high school he might reconsider. But that sure is also a reason for my enhanced interest: We are the only western country that already experienced something similar to Trump in modern times, i.e. the far-right populists with the angry rhetorics and the simplified solutions, being actually asked to govern. It didn't end too well here. So I'm interested if history repeats itself or if I do a great injustice to Trump (as of now, I still feel vindicated). And then, of course, the Russian angle, their influence they try to assert here as well through said Trump-like politicians (that the Russians take these efforts is unquestioned here). This is of utter global importance. There's so much to say... sorry for taking so many words to answer that one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: EXCLUSIVE: Trump’s Mar-a-Lago tax deal veiled from IRS review - hollodero - 12-21-2017, 10:50 PM