Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro Football Weekly: Bengals want Jay Gruden
(12-21-2017, 09:11 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Maybe It wasn't the best comparison. Lol

But, they both have a hard time winning the big games or the games they need to. Gruden has a worse record and came to dc during a situation similar to when Marvin took over for the bengals(imo skins had a better team in a worse division).

Plus, they started the season without a single legitimate wr. That type of move is definitely marvin style dipshitery...

I just would not get overly excited about gruden. I don't have any stats here just going off my feelz man.. lol

I respect your take, but I don't think it's fair to judge Gruden on that first year. In year  one for Marv, his QB situation was cut and dried. Kitna was to start and allow 1st overall pick Palmer to sit and learn. In contrast, Gruden inherited a messy situation where the owner and fans wanted RGIII to start, while Cousins was basically an unknown. That whole first year was just sorting the QB situation out.

After that, he went 9-7, 8-7-1 and now 6-8. That is kinda Marvin-y, but they have had a ton of injuries this year and the NFCE is just such a wacky division usually. I'd say it's better than the old AFCN Marv dealt with...In a a way. There is no Browns in that division. All 4 teams have won the division recently.

In the end I think Gruden did a lot of good there that goes beyond his overall W/L record. He got the QB situation settled in a surprisingly clean manner. He's had them playing competitive football for 3 years despite 3 different DCs (all getting terrible results). 

Another good thing I can say for Jay is that - unlike Marvin - he's getting good results on the side of the ball he specializes in. Merv's defense was crummy til Zimmer came along. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pro Football Weekly: Bengals want Jay Gruden - Shake n Blake - 12-22-2017, 02:42 AM