Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new coach won’t change much
(12-22-2017, 09:27 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: The problem is, Mike's death/retirement really guarantees nothing.  Katie learned everything she knows about running a football team from the old man, so who's to say she wont just decide to make herself GM and pocket a check for doing that job?  Or make her husband, or some other idiot relative, the GM?  Maybe one of her kids will have the job some day if the franchise sticks around town long enough.  

We just don't know what she'll do, but this team has robbed me off all optimism, so it's hard to be too hopeful.
Bingo! Don't expect much if any changes from the rest of the family other than the name Brown to Blackburn.
I very seldom expect changes when things remain in the family other than possibly draining the family fortune by the kids.My old woman uses a phrase, Shirt sleeves to shirt sleeves ..
Quote:You may have heard the old proverb, “Shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations.” In Japan, the expression goes, “Rice paddies to rice paddies in three generations.” The Scottish say “The father buys, the son builds, the grandchild sells, and his son begs.” In China, “Wealth never survives three generations.”

Around the world there are many variations on this theme, all used to describe the tendency of the third generation of a family to squander the wealth obtained by the first.
The Three Generation Cycle
[Image: FLV-Marketing-Photos-2_0012-150x150.jpg]The First Generationcomes from a life of hardship and is determined to make a better future for themselves. They are willing to work hard and make the sacrifices necessary in order to achieve their goal. By their later years, their efforts have paid off. They enjoy a more comfortable lifestyle, often with assets to pass on.
Their children, the Second Generation, grow up a witness to their parent’s struggle and understand the importance of hard work. Although they now live a more comfortable lifestyle, they may still remember a childhood filled with frugality. Because of this awareness, they make sound educational and financial choices that help them build upon the foundation their parents worked so hard to create. By their later years, the second generation has acquired even greater wealth.
The Third Generation, however, has no memory of want or struggle. They only know a life of plenty and often lack an understanding of the work that went into building the lifestyle they now enjoy. Not surprisingly, the third generation has a tendency to squander what their grandparents and parents worked so hard to achieve. Thus the Three Generation proverbs.

Mikey did build the family fortune so I expect very little from the 3rd generation. 
Of course our tax codes now favor nepotism so hard telling. From a pure hate of nepotism I hope they do squander it and go belly up. The sooner the better. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: A new coach won’t change much - jj22 - 12-22-2017, 09:26 PM
RE: A new coach won’t change much - grampahol - 12-23-2017, 05:32 AM
RE: A new coach won’t change much - McC - 12-23-2017, 12:51 AM