Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little guitar playing
(12-25-2017, 09:51 PM)jason Wrote: When I was 18-19 years old I met the best guitarist I've known personally. Just that natural type. He'd went to the Berkeley school of music. He was sick. I could basically strum chords, and read tabs. He would let me play with him, all the while telling me that I was pretty good. He, another novice, and myself would get together over the next few years, and jam AC/DC songs on 2 guitars, a drum kit, and a mic. My playing just gradually improved. I don't think I would've gotten as far by myself.

Sadly now, I have a young child, and don't play as much as I'd like... It comes back pretty quickly though.

No one else in my family has "musical talent" but yet they all seem to have an ear for music.

Perhaps this helps in some way.  I do find that practicing and at least being obsessed by the instrument is what lead me to excel at it.

Early on I was distracted and wasn't dedicated to it. 

Then I moved to another state(Washington)where I didn't know anyone and it became my outside activity of choice when I was in Art school.

Oddly enough I seemed to trade off my love of drawing/creating for playing guitar/writing music in the process.

I had more instruction in art than music which was virtually none. LOL

Upon meeting other musicians I was like a sponge gathering up tricks, tips, and knowledge.

I guess one of the things that makes me humble to this day as a musician...  is my philosophy that you can learn things from others no matter what their level of ability.

Musicians all have different approaches.  Sometimes you'll see something that goes against what you've known.

In other words.  I'm a constant student.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
A little guitar playing - Bengalzona - 12-19-2017, 09:34 AM
RE: A little guitar playing - McC - 12-19-2017, 02:15 PM
RE: A little guitar playing - jason - 12-25-2017, 05:33 PM
RE: A little guitar playing - jason - 12-25-2017, 09:51 PM
RE: A little guitar playing - BengalsRocker - 12-25-2017, 10:51 PM
RE: A little guitar playing - CB3UK - 12-25-2017, 08:08 PM