Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Draft, player storylines & offseason events RECHARGE Fan interest each year
(12-29-2017, 03:05 AM)BMK Wrote: I think you're spot on.  Last fall, this board, with very little reason, had the Bengals playoff bound and the Steelers falling apart. Just think about next fall with a whole new coaching staff, a few more high draft choices and Ben retiring. Regardless what people are saying now, come fall, optimism will be through the roof....and rightly so.

Last fall most were saying the o line was the key. If they improved and played well, coupled with a healthy eifert and a defense that looked like it could be lights out, then a winning record and a playoff berth wasn’t out of the question.

As for next year, there is no guarantee that that Ben retires or Marvin is dismissed. Unless the MO of the front office changes this team has many holes to fill.

As to the original post, I think fan interest has undoubtedly declined. That’s typical of teams at the end of a losing season. But this feels a little different. There is a spectrum to fandom, ranging from not interested/don’t follow to diehard. A little after half way through the season my wife gave up watching them every Sunday. I spent more time watching the red zone channel than the bengals game. When fans begin to ween themselves off the team, even just a little, it makes it easier to just find something else to do.

If this same dog and pony show is in place to start next season with only a few draft picks to keep us interested I think even more fans will be ready to throw in the towel sooner if things don’t start well.

I don’t anticipate anything changing in terms of player acquisition, such as free agency.

So yeah, ebenezer has aces up his sleeve, let’s see if he uses them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
The Draft, player storylines & offseason events RECHARGE Fan interest each year - BenZoo2 - 12-29-2017, 10:05 AM