Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The issue of separation with our wide receivers
(12-28-2017, 07:31 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Is this a talent issue, coaching issue, or scheme issue?  I see other teams finding ways to get their guys open and it seems like that is never the case with us.  What's the problem?

Combination of talent and scheme....

Talent:  Lafell gets shut down by single coverage and doesn't generate separation.  This forces Dalton to hold on to the ball.  The scheme uses Lafell over the much faster Core and Ross, and also never throws back shoulder passes (something Dalton does very well) which can create an opportunity for the WR like Lafell that has no separation to break back quickly on the ball and make the reception when he jams on the brakes.  

Even AJ Green doesn't get separation....instantly.  AJ is more of a long strider with great elusiveness at full speed.  He is perfect opposite a burner like Ross, which is why I was so excited about that pick.  

Boyd and Erickson in the slot should be better than they are.  I was very disappointed in Boyd this year, and I don't know what kind of a teammate he is, but it seemed that they were not very eager to go in his direction.  He would show flashes, but also looked like he would take a play off when he wasn't the primary receiver.  

Scheme:  The aforementioned back shoulder throw.  The quick pass to a WR like Core, Malone, Ross, or Green when a DB plays 8+ yards off the LOS.  More deep shots to someone not named Green.  I can't remember a season where we took fewer deep shots than this year.  Some will blame the line for not giving time, but I blame not having Core, Malone, or Ross taking the top off the defense and forcing back safeties, which would also help the rushing attack.  Core, like Ross, had a chance with a deep ball against the Rats in week 1 that Dalton overthrew (it was a TD) and dropped a great pass from Dalton (actually looked like he caught it and fumbled when he hit the ground with the defender) a week later and after going 0-2 on deep balls to him, they never went back to it.  Baltimore used to say that they want to take 5 deep shots a game to make big plays and force DBs to play back.  The Bengals do the opposite, and largely make you only defend one small part of the field.  

The Bengals also poorly design plays for the RBs as receivers. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The issue of separation with our wide receivers - SHRacerX - 12-30-2017, 11:01 AM