Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Scratch LT off the office the offseason need list
(01-01-2018, 11:20 AM)Beaker Wrote: Boling does have possibilities at LT. But we would still need to draft a LT, at least to provide a competent backup. I think the Ogbuehi experiment has run its course. As to why they didn't play Boling there sooner...because he was good at LG (and they probably didn't know he could play LT as well as he did because he only went there out of an emergency situation.)

I could see this as next year's starting OL (with some new draft picks as backups):

LT - Boling
LG - Redmond
C - Westerman
RG - Hopkins
RT - Smith

Also, the rookie who filled in at RT didn't do so bad either. The Bengals had to stick with Ogbuehi and Fisher so long because they invested such high draft picks in them and had to be sure they could not improve. But I think now they see they have better suited players on the roster. They should be able to cut their losses at this point. I would cut Ogbuehi and keep Fisher as a backup at RT and to use as a TE in the jumbo package. Remember Fisher als served well as a goal line FB last year when Hewitt was injured...so he has some value to keep in the roster.

I don't know, man.  I think they need at least two high draft picks on the line that can start week 1.  I'd prefer they be on the interior.  Hopkins is awful and so is Bodine.  On top of that, you'd get a little time to see if either of the horrendous young OTs can get their acts together before cutting bait.   

I wouldn't hate seeing Dre back in the Winston role.  I would hate for them to depend on him as a starter and see him come in out of shape (as always) and get hurt before the season ends (as usual).  

Also, there's the factor of Fisher's health which may not be a small issue.  Lapham, Hoard, and Hobson aren't doctors, but they all seemed to think that there's a real chance that he never plays football again.  If that isn't ironed out, you almost draft an OT at some point by default.  

I like what they got from Redmond and Westerman and would love to see if Westerman could line up at center, so agree 100 percent there.

I just see no way that this team can do anything but invest high-value resources on the o-line this year.  Since that won't come in FA, it's gotta come from the draft.  They have some bodies there now, but they need younger, high quality players that can be the cornerstones of the position group for a long time.  I don't see those guys on the team now.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scratch LT off the office the offseason need list - samhain - 01-01-2018, 12:07 PM