Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Scratch LT off the office the offseason need list
(01-02-2018, 12:51 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Who plays linebacker if they didn't sign Minter? The same random rookie who did the 81.5% of the defensive snaps that Minter didn't play anyway. He played only 18.5% of the snaps. He might as well have not been there.

No, Kirkpatrick didn't earn a contract in 2017. He was good in 2016, in his 5th and contract year, and he predictably went back to being a turd in 2017 when he got paid. PFF is hardly the end-all of metrics, but they have him listed as their #91 CB in the NFL in 2017. He's also a TERRIBLE tackler, and is constantly getting thrown onto his ass and run the F over by RB.

You said they had $12m, combined with the $25m under the cap they'll be in 2018 not counting that $12m, plus $6m for cutting Jones. That's $43m.

Dennard isn't gone in 2018 because the Bengals already picked up his 5th year option ($8.5m) and that is already included in the 2018 cap space. Eifert can't stay healthy, so there's no point in mentioning him, and you already said they have to save up for Kroft. When Minter is who you have to account for leaving, you can tell you're running real thin on made up excuses.

To recap... you gave me Eifert, who has started 3 games in the last 2 years, and Minter, who played 18.5% of the defensive snaps in 2017, as the huge losses they need to budget for. Seriously?

- - - - - - - - - - -

They did waste money overpaying Burfict. They bid against themselves for some reason. Much like Bob Sanders, a great player is only great when they're actually on the field. Burfict just missed like 3.5 games from a concussion, his 5th or so concussion of his career. He's constantly injured, and now getting targeted by the league for suspensions.

He is averaging 9 games played per season over the last 4 seasons, and the Bengals threw $11m/yr at him, which is a vast overpay for a part time player. He's an amazing player WHEN he is on the field, but that isn't anywhere near often enough to justify that number. Even less so when you still had him under contract. They paid him more than Bobby Wagner or Lavonte David got, and those guys are both on the field consistently.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Honestly? They didn't extend Whit because they are idiots who didn't think he'd have a hot market (for some reason).

I don't blame them for not paying Zeitler, that was a stupid amount of money for his caliber of player. I blame them for not taking the money they saved by not signing him and using it smarter. For instance, they spent $5m on Bodine and Smith in 2017.

Which would you rather have? Bodine, Kirkpatrick, LaFell, and $12m in rollover.... OR... Andrew Whitworth, Joel Bitonio, and JC Tretter, and no rollover? I know which one would make a much better Bengals team, with an OL of Whitworth/Boling/Tretter/Bitonio/Smith.

The Bengals just use their resources really really stupidly, and don't maximize their spending ability in order to field the best possible team.

So what if you have to cut a player 2-3 years later? That's 2 years to win a SB. Other teams are too busy trying really hard to make moves to get an advantage that if you're not doing the same, you're going to end up on a 27 year playoff winless streak.

There's a reason why the Bengals haven't won a playoff game since modern FA was introduced.
Would have Whitworth Tretter and Bitino only sign for 1 season?

If they don't extend players next year you would be absolutely right but if they extend Geno, Carlos, Kroft, Dennard.. and maybe even Eifert (who counts in the mess. I know I know he's injured but if he hadn't he would be in line for a huge contract.) The massive cap space we think they have will disappear quickly.

I'm not saying the FO made the best personel desicions. Im just saying I see what they did and WHY they did it. More than one perspective for every problem and everything is easier in hindsight.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scratch LT off the office the offseason need list - Synric - 01-02-2018, 01:11 AM