Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Scratch LT off the office the offseason need list
(01-02-2018, 02:45 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Where did I ever say it would guarantee a championship? I said it would make it so they CAN win one, not that they would.

Continuing to do things as they have on the other hand sure as hell guarantees that they never will.

Over the last two offseasons, the Bengals have let Whitworth, M Jones, Zeitler, and Nelson walk in FA, and have brought in LaFell, Dansby, and Minter. That is not how you build a roster that will do much of anything.

You and the Bengals are so busy making excuses of having to extend players 3 years from now, that you've wasted all your best players prime years. Green and Atkins will both turn 30 before the season starts. What do the Bengals have to show for their careers so far? A handful of pathetic looking first round playoff losses.

By never making a move, you're just planning and saving for a time that will NEVER come. There will always be someone else who *MAY* need an extension 2-3 years from now. That doesn't mean you shouldn't make as good of a roster as possible with all your resources.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Steelers entered the 2017 offseason with less cap space than the Bengals, and managed to franchise tagged Bell to make him the highest paid RB by like 50% more than 2nd place, extended Brown to make him the highest paid WR in the NFL, signed their LT, signed Joe Haden, and extended their DE. Their QB makes $5.85m/yr more than the Bengals, too.

The Bengals with more cap space, meanwhile, somehow couldn't find the money to re-sign their All-Pro LT.

The Steelers went 13-3, got the #2 seed, and are eyeing a SB.
The Bengals went 7-9, were abhorrent to watch, and are eyeing at bringing their 0 postseason win HC back for a 16th season.

It's amazing how every team in the NFL works with the same cap space, and everyone besides the Bengals somehow manage to get by without saving for extensions 3 years in advance, and saving $15m in cap space for an injury pool/rookies.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

What is the point of keeping the stars and putting NOTHING around them to give them an actual chance at winning something? If you're not going to use your resources to field the best team you can every year, quit and sell your team to someone who will.

Bengals are less than league average with available salary cap. 

Also it's funny you bring up the Steelers who went all or nothing this season. They had better win a superbowl because they are flat out screwed this offseason. Bell is gone there is no chance at all to resign him. They will have to either trade, cut, or force pay cuts just to sign their draft picks.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scratch LT off the office the offseason need list - Synric - 01-02-2018, 07:31 AM