Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Scratch LT off the office the offseason need list
(01-02-2018, 12:55 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Left tackle is still a glaring need.  Clint Boling is better than Cedric Ogbuehi but that’s a low bar to climb over.

My thoughts exactly.

Boling was adequate in the two games he played and improvement over Ogbuehi, but that doesn't mean he should be moved to LT for 2018.
The Bengals should still draft an OT, preferably early. I still like McGlinchey. While he gave up some pressures (mostly to future NFL first-rounders), he was dominant in the run game and was also an elite RT before switching to LT the past two years at ND.
And I'd still look to re-sign Andre Smith because even though he wasn't good this year, he's still better than Ogbuehi and Fisher's health is still in question. No way do I want to see Ogbuehi out there at OT ever again unless it's an absolute necessity. Make his ass actually earn playing time now.
Also, after the past two games, I don't see how there isn't any hope that the guard positions aren't in good hands between Boling, Westerman, and Redmond. I don't view OG as a need now until probably the fourth round unless the Bengals really want to get a guy like Nelson.
Center and OT are still higher priorities to me.

And by drafting a guy like McGlinchey, it could still allow Boling to try his hand at LT and also provide insurance in case Boling proves he's only a spot starter in case of emergency.
If Boling can prove to be a quality LT in the NFL, McGlinchey and Boling as the book ends with Redmond and Westerman next to them and a new drafted C in the middle.
If not, McGlinchey and Smith as the book ends (at least in the short term) with Boling and Redmond/Westerman at Guard and either a drafted pick or maybe even a shift of position for the other out of Westerman/Redmond at C.

Either way, that still seems like a pretty big improvement over what the Bengals rolled out with in 2017.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scratch LT off the office the offseason need list - ochocincos - 01-02-2018, 10:45 AM