Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You're the OC, what plays do you add...
(01-05-2018, 09:31 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: Also I remember Adam Jones saying: "If you win field position and defense, you should win the [bleeping] game." 

While what he said may have been out of line, I feel that it is my duty to exhibit things as they are, not as they ought to be and what he said wasn't far from the truth.

We have to get some time consuming drives. Our defense was on the field longer than any other team this year, statistically speaking. We were on the field for 1091 plays, almost 30 more plays then the next worst team.

This leads to your defense getting wore down, causing the defense to get injuries and second half collapses. Think on this for a bit, our offense was so inept that it actually began spilling over on our defense.

In all actuality, our defense played to a top 7 NFL defense level throughout the entirety of the year. Just take a look at some of the stats.

Our secondary was brilliant for most of the year, they only gave up 5.6 net yards per attempt and only two teams were better the Minnesota Vikings and the Jacksonville Jaguars.

They gave up only 20 TD's and only 7 teams were better. They only allowed 59 completion percentage better than the 62.1 percent NFL average.

The Bengals had more rushes against them than any other defense in the NFL other than the San Francisco 49ers. They had 489 rushes against them and gave up the 3rd most yards, but for only 4.2 yards a rush. Which isn't great, but cope that with a Bengals offense that was on the field less than any other offense and it's easy to see why they got so wore down.

Consider this the Bengals defense only gave up 5 yards per play on those 1091 plays, only 5 teams were better. If you take the Bengals plays to the League average of 1013 plays we end up with the 7th defense in the NFL.

So while Adam Jones may have been out of line with what he said, he wasn't far from the truth. Our special team and defensive units played to a top 10 NFL level throughout the entirety of the year, for the most part.

Our offense was so badly inept, specifically speaking the offensive line, that it actually spilled over to the rest of the team. We averaged 3.6 yards a carry, only two teams were worse, but we have a back field that includes Gio Bernard, Mixon, Jeremy Hill, and Cedric Peerman. That's four competent NFL running backs, does any other NFL team have that?

Yet, we couldn't run to save our life's this year. Lol

Lots more great information, a lot of i didn't know, makes me feel better about Guenther honestly, but still have to get off
the field on 3rd downs and we were the worst at this. Sure, the Offense really hurt our Defense and i am of the mantra it
doesn't matter how good your Defense is if they are on the field all the time, but getting 3 and outs helps the Defense get
off the field and rest.

Thought the run Defense should of been much better with our DT's. Billings clearly was not over the injury this year. But
Glasgow, Sims and Tupou have all been great at stopping the run in the past. It is their bread and butter. Our Ends are also
usually good against the run, Dunlap, MJ are usually good against the run and Willis was good against the run at Kansas St.

Again i point to LB play who all were bad besides Burfict. Haslett needs to go.

Also was hearing how terrible our Secondary was all year on here. Your stats TBM show something different...
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: You're the OC, what plays do you add... - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-05-2018, 02:50 PM