Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bengals History ( eye opening )
(01-05-2018, 04:10 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: What I find impressive about Bengals history is how good they were early on.  I believe they made the playoffs their third season, in an era where expansion teams were pretty much scrap heap projects.  The early-mid 70s saw an impressive team in the Queen City.  Unfortunately for them that was a bad time to be good or even really good, with legendary teams like the Dolphins, Steelers, and Raiders lurking in conference.

I go back to the beginning-1967.

when Paul was running things the Bengals were almost always competitive. They made the Super Bowl twice and easily could have won both games.

The big mistake by Paul Brown was hiring Tiger Johnson as Head Coach over Bill Walsh, probably because of seniority or friendship.

Paul did hire Sam Wyche- a Walsh clone of sorts.

In my opinion. Sam  was the greatest head coach in Bengal history. He was demanding and innovative and expected excellence. He was willing to try new things.

All of Sam's qualities are what we need in a coach and all of them completely conflict with Mike Brown's personality and his micro management style.

The franchise would have been so much different if Sam had not fallen out with Mike.  But that is who Mike Brown is and he is never changing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Bengals History ( eye opening ) - bengals67 - 01-05-2018, 04:18 PM