Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the US is 'the most dangerous of wealthy nations for a child to be born into'
I seriously wonder if the US being able to keep people alive from diseases that would kill others is contributing to this.

The US has the highest survival rate of breast and prostate cancer in the world. I wonder how much surviving things like that and then later reproducing will affect your future generation's birth defect rate, and cancer rate and such. These are people who back in the 60s and 70s would have likely died.

Not just cancer, but people are living much longer with HIV, and are able to manage Diabetes much better. Also people with severe allergies are much less likely to die these days with the prevalence of epipens at schools and such in order to save people from a bee sting. People are surviving drug overdoses due to ambulances being loaded with the lifesaving OD drugs now. All of those can't do good things to your body/genetics, and you then pass it on.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't save people from cancer, obviously. I am just wondering if this is an unintended consequence of it, like antibacterial soap creating worse things than if we had never had antibacterial soap.

- - - - - - - - - -

Then combine that with the US urban gang violence and the rural childhood dangers like dirtbikes/swimming in rivers/4-wheelers/horses/gun accidents... top it off with car crashes (something that's not even a factor for a lot of Europe teens, or children whose parents don't own a car) and I suppose I could see it add up.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why the US is 'the most dangerous of wealthy nations for a child to be born into' - TheLeonardLeap - 01-10-2018, 01:14 PM