Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries
(01-12-2018, 03:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The comment is in poor taste as are attempts to make it a racist comment.

Nah, I disagree. Maybe one can argue whether the comments were "racist" or not, however calling them racist is not nearly as tasteless as the comments were. Not even close. There's a reason why one can consider Trump to be a racist, and the benefit of the doubt or semantic arguments only go so far. He also said people from Haiti all have AIDS and went quite far to describe Mexicans and so on. The suspicion that there are deep resentmenst against certain non-white types isn't far fetched, and calling it racist isn't an awful misstep.

I consider myself to be rather careful to call things racist, but these remarks... they are at least quite close.

(01-12-2018, 04:19 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Wasn’t it said in private meeting?  We all say things in meetings that don’t have the normal filter we would use in public.  

Dear lord the comment was crude but let’s be serious.   There is Merit there and really we should be careful who we do bring to this country.    Which is why Trump is right that we need a point system.

Well... "private". It was a meeting with politicians, including from the other side, so it's not like he talked to his friends after a couple of beers.

It's also not about a point system or anything like that. Also, again, it's not about calling these countries shitholes, although an US president really should never engage in that kind of talk. But it's really about saying African countries are shitholes and hence we don't need people from there. To your credit, you at least bring this thought to its logical conclusion, in saying the country is shitty, hence the people from there are all shitty. I consider that remark deeply flawed, but at least there's no beating around the bush what it really means.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries - hollodero - 01-12-2018, 11:31 PM