Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Companies raising wages due to tax bill.
(01-19-2018, 03:01 AM)Goalpost Wrote: I just think the story has to play out with this idea.  Apple is the largest US company. I think their worth is near a trillion in the stock market. And it's good that they came forward first.  The plan has only been out for a month.  Others are sure to follow if there is now an opportunity to bring that cash hoard back.  38 billion from Apple, you mention not enough but that's relative to one company.  What happens if Coca Cola, Proctor and Gamble, McDonald's, Microsoft, IBM, Cisco, Exxon Mobile, Nike, Pepsi, etc etc etc...so many multi national companies we have...follow the idea also.  The 38 billion is really just a starting point.

My concern is that we are prepping ourselves for another depression. Corporations with record profits while the wage gap between management and workers increases in distance, stock market booming and with business regulations being stripped away, the list could go on. These are things that occurred prior to the Great Depression. We haven't learned our lesson in all of this and we are riding an economic wave that could come crashing down on us. We need to be increasing our tax revenue and cutting our spending, but the folks in Washington aren't willing to do it and the tax bill is only going to make it worse. There is a lot of variation on how much it adds to the deficit, but it is almost universally agreed it will add to the deficit.

It's bad policy, it's bad economics, and it's going to bite us in the ass. We are going to have spent ourselves into such a hole that when the next recession hits we won't be able to pull ourselves out of it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Companies raising wages due to tax bill. - Belsnickel - 01-19-2018, 09:53 AM