Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries
(01-29-2018, 12:29 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I really have no interest in defending a position I did not take.

Nor am I interested in arguing against such a position.  I'm not Fred, I don't deliberately misrepresent what people said or offer counter points that have nothing to do with the point being made.  You did, however, take the exact position I am arguing against in the following quote;

Quote:The fact that Europeans made up this concept that we are divided into races based solely on our skin color doesn't mean the rest of the world saw things so black and white (pardon the pun). 

See?

Quote:Someone made the comment about Africans selling their own as if we should lump them all together by "race" (the social definition) rather than understand the "ethnic" and tribal differences they were divided by.

You mean Lucie, it's ok to use the correct name when it is known.  Lucie is wrong, per usual.  You are also wrong here, as different tribes are not different ethnic groups.  They are groups of people whose differences exist solely within a man made societal construct.

Quote:You're apparently confused as to what I was saying. I wasn't invoking it to reference any sort of hierarchical racist ideology but rather just address a common misconception of lumping all black Africans together. 

As a response to Lucie's argument, and confined within the terms you just expressed, you'd get no argument from me.  However, that's not what you said.  You stated Europeans invented to concept of "race" when this is simply not true, as I explained in my earlier posts.

Quote:The concept of three races consisting of caucasoid, mongoloid, and negroid is in fact a Western invention, hence my comment. 

Using those terms, sure.  The concept of "races", however, is not uniquely European.  Judging, or categorizing, people by skin color is prevalent in the vast majority of human societies.  The reasons for this judgment vary, but the concept exists almost everywhere.  If we can agree that this is not a uniquely Western concept then we can absolutely move on.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 01-29-2018, 12:41 PM