Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Mike may gauge team/player success by comparing to the bottom, not the Top
(01-29-2018, 12:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Both Mike and the fans are correct.

Bengals are not the best but they are better than a lot of other teams.

Although Mike wants to win as bad as the fans he is not buying into the "Bengals are worst ever team with worst coaches that start the worst players in the league." line of thinking.

Making the playoffs is not the ultimate goal, but it is not a bad thing like some people here try to claim.  And I'll bet that Mike Brown quote about "unacceptable seasons" was after a playoff season instead of either of the last two.

I think that Mike has already PROVEN what you said (Bolded above).

5 straight Playoff appearances and having 8 teams in the 2017 Draft and 11 teams in the 2018 Draft pick ahead of his.

He is not incompetent by that standard. He outperforms other GMs.

I think he may rest on these accomplishments and apply this same logic to players he sticks with.

Fans declare say Bodine to be a bad Draft choice. In Mike's mind he found a Starter in Bodine. Maybe not an Elite starter but a starter.
Finding starters in Drafts is a form of success, so when fans complain it rubs Mike the wrong way. He doubles down on Bodine and passes up opportunities to upgrade.

Is this the best Formula for Super Bowl success or does Mike have a different view of what success is ?

Does it cause him to develop soft spots in his heart for borderline players making him pass on Upgrades in Drafts or Free Agency ?

Is he Limited by gauging success from the bottom and not Focusing on what it would take to be on Top ?

Thus staying in the Middle, so to speak.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mike may gauge team/player success by comparing to the bottom, not the Top - depthchart - 01-29-2018, 01:58 PM