Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does America have a caste system?
(01-29-2018, 02:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So my own commentary on this article is that, while I agree with critiques of the US and the ever increasing difficulty of socio-economic mobility, I think the author is not making a very strong point. I think they are looking at what the white nationalists would like to see done and saying "we are there because they have power right now". This isn't an accurate statement in the slightest and makes a logical leap that has no real foundation.

The article is thought provoking, but the written and unwritten rules of a caste system just aren't in place here. Do some exist in a minor form? I would argue they do, but not to an extent to call it a casteist society.

But I just wanted to have a good discussion, so I figured I'd post it for you all.

Like I said, the whole reason he invokes the idea of a caste system, to point out the trouble with upward mobility in the US, is valid. It's a hyperbole, though, and if we're just discussing this idea (like when people argue we have an oligarchy) there's not a ton of merit to it. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does America have a caste system? - BmorePat87 - 01-29-2018, 03:19 PM