Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries
(01-29-2018, 08:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Here's a three part question that can end this back and forth.  Is western culture uniquely racist, is it endemically racist and is it the only culture with problems related to racism, both past and present?

The "back and forth" cannot end until parties agree what "racist" or "uniquely racist" means. One cannot have racism without a racial taxonomy founded upon a concept of race.

E.g., if your first question uses "racism" as I use the term (to mean a system of classification/evaluation rooted in anthropology), then Western culture is the unique origin of "racism," but it has been transplanted to many other places.  So it is not "uniquely" racist at the moment.  I gave the example of Japan above.

I would say racism is endemic to Western culture, as is the critique of it, again, as I said above.

Western culture is not the only culture with problems of discrimination based upon whatever markers may be available to distinguish one group from another, both present and past. One consequence of globalism is that Western ideologies, science and governmental forms have spread the world over, taking the good and the bad with them--including racial taxonomies. At the moment I am unaware of any non-Western country which developed a racial taxonomy/concept before contact with Western culture and then used it to discriminate. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries - Dill - 01-30-2018, 07:14 PM