Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virginia News Reporter Shot Live
(08-27-2015, 06:22 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: There are penalties, on par (depending on severity and counts against an individual).

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20040324/citizen-s-guide-to-federal-firearms-law

A quick hit on Dealers and automatic weapons....

Dealers

Persons who engage in the business of buying or selling firearms must be licensed by the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives of the U.S. Department of Justice. A special class of "licensed collectors" provides for the purchase and sale of firearms designated by the BATFE as "curios and relics." Class III dealers may sell fully-automatic firearms manufactured prior to May 19, 1986, and other federally registered firearms and devices restricted under Title II of the Gun Control Act, to individuals who obtain approval from the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury after payment of a tax and clearance following a criminal background check.
Violations of restrictions on Title II firearms and devices are punishable by a penalty of up to $10,000 and 10 years imprisonment.
If I understand that right the 1986 law "signed by Bush" per another poster (wasn't Reagan President in 1986?) has a big hole in it - you could keep selling old guns just not new ones seems to be what it says. Useless, not common sense, to go back to the "what are common sense gun laws" question. And why does anyone need fully automatic weapons, no matter their age? Again, common sense - but Armageddon to gun enthusiasts.

Your point on the penalties is legit, but I am rather confident the DEA and local law enforcement budgets (and time invested in policing) dwarf the budget (money and time) for ATF. I would much rather the police were looking for people amassing an arsenal than people amassing weed. But, this scares the crap out of the gun lobby and their zombie consumers.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Virginia News Reporter Shot Live - xxlt - 08-27-2015, 06:36 PM