Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries
(02-05-2018, 04:57 PM)Dill Wrote: Well, in the quote to which you respond, no one claims slavery is defended.  What is claimed is that someone resuscitated a classic defense of slavery.

To make that point stick, two conditions must be satisfied:

1) it must be established that slavers defended slavery by claiming "they enslaved themselves"--"they" being Africans who, unlike Europeans, were viewed as one "people" because of their race.  So even one tribe enslaved another tribe of very different culture, they were still enslaving "themselves."  Different tribes. Same race. Ergo, same people.

2) it must be established that someone on this thread repeated the claim. On this thread "race" has been updated to "society." African people who belonged to one "society," regardless of tribal/cultural differences, because they lived on the same land. So if one tribe enslaves people of another, no matter how different, they are still enslaving their own.  (People living on the same land in North America were not all the same society. So we have not heard that Whites enslaving Indians thereby enslaving their own people though they might be living on the same land.)  

I think my post #335 satisfies both conditions.

It is possible to re-purpose these old arguments so that even if they are no longer deployed in direct defense of slavery, they may still be used to denigrate victims of slavery and to minimize or deflect responsibility of the slavers.

First of all, don't alter my post in your quote by making it say something I didn't say.  Not only is it lame, it's cowardly.  You claimed someone defended slavery.  I asked you to point out who, not to give me a dissembling argument that people in this thread "resuscitated" a former pro-slavery argument.  So either kindly point out someone actually defending the institution of slavery or kindly retract your accusation.  I'll still be here when you actually address my question.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 02-05-2018, 11:38 PM