Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries
(02-05-2018, 11:38 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: First of all, don't alter my post in your quote by making it say something I didn't say.  Not only is it lame, it's cowardly.  You claimed someone defended slavery.  I asked you to point out who, not to give me a dissembling argument that people in this thread "resuscitated" a former pro-slavery argument.  So either kindly point out someone actually defending the institution of slavery or kindly retract your accusation.  I'll still be here when you actually address my question.

First of all, no one altered your post by "making it say something you didn't say."  I disputed a claim you made without altering that claim.

I said "What is claimed is that someone resuscitated a three-centuries old argument used to defend slavery." But you said I said "someone defended slavery."  Correct? That means YOU altered MY post to make it say something I didn't say.  

But perhaps you think a claim that someone "resuscitated" a pro slavery argument is the equivalent of a claim that someone defended slavery? You may think the statements are synonymous.  

Or maybe you know these statements are not synonymous, and that is why you insist on waiting around until I kindly prove or retract your altered version rather than my actual claim as I worded it.  And no "cowardly dissembling".

It is easy to prove that people on this thread have "resuscitated" arguments used to defend slavery.  Here is one for example.

(01-26-2018, 08:49 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Didn’t the African people sell off their own people as commerce?  
All this shows is that their selfish choices along the way Have contributed plenty to their demise.  
Sending them money and aid just enables their terrible choices and  gives us some sort of comfort watching them act like animals with each other.

Here is another:

(01-26-2018, 09:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: BLUF: You used an example of the US righting a wrong that many African countries did to their own citizens in an effort to show how animal-like we are. At any time you can just say: "Yeah, it was a stupid example"......or not. 

This poster takes it to a new level, interpreting the U.S. Civil War as a righting of a wrong done by Africans to "their own."

And this also makes plain the difference between "resuscitating" arguments used by slavers and "defending" slavery.  This poster says slavery was "a wrong." So he is not defending slavery. 

But he is still maintaining it is Africans who "did it to their own," is he not?  And he continues thereafter to defend the lumping of Africans together under whatever rubric is required to keep the point somehow unique to "them" and not "us"-- they are "countrymen," or tribal "groupings," or "citizens," or a society doing to themselves.

So until you can show the posters above didn't say what they said, or that slavers did not say what they said, I have kindly proved my claim.  Again. 

But I have not proved your rewording.  I don't actually see a defense of slavery on this thread.

Should I kindly retract your rewording?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries - Dill - 02-07-2018, 12:14 PM