Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries
(02-07-2018, 12:14 PM)Dill Wrote: First of all, no one altered your post by "making it say something you didn't say."  I disputed a claim you made without altering that claim.

Incorrect.  GO back and look at my "quote" in the post of yours I responded to.

Quote:I said "What is claimed is that someone resuscitated a three-centuries old argument used to defend slavery." But you said I said "someone defended slavery."  Correct? That means YOU altered MY post to make it say something I didn't say.  

No, I asked a question, which was, who in this thread defended slavery?  That isn't altering anything.

Quote:But perhaps you think a claim that someone "resuscitated" a pro slavery argument is the equivalent of a claim that someone defended slavery? You may think the statements are synonymous. 

I absolutely believe that's what you intended, but my question stands, who made that argument?  If you assert that no one did then the answer to my question would be, "No one defended slavery in this thread nor would I imply they did".  That would be an honest answer requiring much fewer words than what I'm currently responding to.

Quote:Or maybe you know these statements are not synonymous, and that is why you insist on waiting around until I kindly prove or retract your altered version rather than my actual claim as I worded it.  And no "cowardly dissembling".

My altered version of what?  I asked a question, I made no declarative or accusatory statement.

Quote:It is easy to prove that people on this thread have "resuscitated" arguments used to defend slavery.  Here is one for example.

Here is another:

This poster takes it to a new level, interpreting the U.S. Civil War as a righting of a wrong done by Africans to "their own."

Cool.  You did a great job of answering a question that wasn't asked. 

Quote:And this also makes plain the difference between "resuscitating" arguments used by slavers and "defending" slavery.  This poster says slavery was "a wrong." So he is not defending slavery. 

So, again, the answer to my question could have been much shorter.  "No one" would have sufficed.

Quote:But he is still maintaining it is Africans who "did it to their own," is he not?  And he continues thereafter to defend the lumping of Africans together under whatever rubric is required to keep the point somehow unique to "them" and not "us"-- they are "countrymen," or tribal "groupings," or "citizens," or a society doing to themselves.

Regardless of who points it out, the fact that Africans sold other Africans into slavery (a process that is sickeningly going on as we speak) is not a fact in dispute.

Quote:So until you can show the posters above didn't say what they said, or that slavers did not say what they said, I have kindly proved my claim.  Again. 

So your issue is with a factual statement that didn't defend slavery?

Quote:But I have not proved your rewording.  I don't actually see a defense of slavery on this thread.

Once again, a much shorter answer to the question I actually asked.

Quote:Should I kindly retract your rewording?

Sure, as soon as you find an example of my altering your statements I'll happily retract it.  Smirk

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘s***hole’ countries - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 02-07-2018, 04:35 PM