Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poland criminalizes accusing the country of complicity during the holocaust
(02-07-2018, 05:05 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yes, there is a definite distinction between criminalizing holocaust denial and criminalizing criticism of Poland's role in it.  However, Holocaust denial laws are not the only example of such restricted speech in Germany.  Their "hate speech" laws are every bit as restrictive as those of the UK.  People are prosecuted for speech that wouldn't cause a second "look" in the United States.  While I think it's overused, the slippery slope argument does have real world applications, and the restriction of speech in otherwise liberal democracies is a perfect example.  The fact that younger generations don't realize how important this right is, and are willing to, at least partially, give it up disturbs me to no end.

I agree with you on the speech laws specifically, it is just the rest of the context that makes one think about the broader implications.

(02-07-2018, 05:05 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: They've never worked on all people, but they do work on most.  I've said it before, sometimes (admittedly) in self serving fashion, that many of the debates I have on this forum are not designed to sway the opinion of the person I am arguing with, it's for the other people reading.  I know from messages I receive that this occurs; that I've made an argument that either changes a person's opinion or makes them consider something they hadn't previously.  That's why the appeal to logic and facts is so important.  Converting the fringe is never the goal.

I wouldn't agree that it works on most. There are certainly some where it does, I know I am a person where the appeal to logic is typically the better route (typically is key, some issues I am too close to, admittedly). But most people work better with an appeal to emotion. Also, confirmation bias is real and possibly (based on studies the author in that linked article talks about) an actual evolutionary concept that can be difficult to override.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Poland criminalizes accusing the country of complicity during the holocaust - Belsnickel - 02-07-2018, 05:12 PM