Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isaiah Wynn - Can he succeed at OT?
(02-01-2018, 03:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Never heard of Drew Boylhart TBH.
But it's hard to take much in his assessment given he essentially dogs Boling when it comes to playing guard. Boling has been a pretty solid guard in the NFL.

With that said, Boling did just OK at LT at the end of the season.
In the Lions game, Boling had a PFF score of 39.9. https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-cincinnati-bengals-26-detroit-lions-17
I don't pay for PFF to see individual game scores, but Boling was not listed as a top 5 performer for the Bengals, so he had a score lower than 81.9.
I assume he was better than 39.9 since he wasn't listed in performances of note (like he was for the Lions game), but to what degree I am not sure.
But maybe Boling could be a quality LT once he has a full offseason to prepare for that.

Sorry to get back to you so late on this.

I've had mixed feelings about Drew Boylhart (and all other draftniks) over the years.  He used to say that his whole thing was that he was the only one that watched film.

He doesn't say that anymore because everyone watches film now because of the increased availability.   And there's just an element of subjectivity in everyone's assessments:  PFF, Huddle Report, Bucky Brooks (and other former players and coaches), etc.   If it was an exact science there would be a much higher level of effective predictability.

It is fun to go back and look at previous assessments, and Boylharts are very much available as he archives his stuff.  And I was intrigued by this one.

The interesting point was that Drew felt that Boling's strongest performances were at tackle vs guard.  And while Boling has turned out as an above average guard, it would be interesting to see how he performs at tackle after a camp and sustained game exposure to that position.  Whit started off as a guard and grew into a really good tackle.   I think he had better potential physically than Boling does, but Boling might have quicker feet, one of the original knocks on Whit.

No one had a good day against Ziggy Ansah - who is a total beast.  And Boling had a much better day against Suggs who is not chopped liver, which makes me hope Boling was growing into the position.

We'll see.   I just thought it was interesting that his performance was much better than I thought in would be at tackle - especially in light of what Boylhart said in 2011.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Isaiah Wynn - Can he succeed at OT? - 3wt - 02-08-2018, 12:18 PM