Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Denmark bans face veil: Incompatible with Danish values
(02-08-2018, 04:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  You are wrong because you claim to speak for every single Muslim woman on earth.  And the story I cited proves that you don't.

BTW do you know the definition of "inane" and "apocryphal"?  Because the story I cited was neither.

I never made that claim and you know I never made that claim.  This is a typical Fred post, in which you argue against a point the other person never even made.  The claim I did make is that the burqa and hijab are symptomatic of the oppressive culture towards women that is extremely prevalent in islam and the countries that are majority muslim.  Considering the reams of evidence of this oppressive culture I'm not surprised your only counter is a single woman who claims she finds her hijab "liberating".  

Quote:Since we are talking about laws in the United States, what about the millions of Muslim women coming of age here?

Actually, we're talking about a law in Denmark, do try to keep up.

(02-08-2018, 11:20 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: There are both women who are forced to wear it and women who want to wear it for personal reasons. I don't know if continuing this line of back and forth is productive, but we could just focus on the legal component of whether or not to ban it in the US.

The only person advocating for a ban in the US is one of our resident bigots.  No such law would fly here as it would be unconstitutional.  

(02-08-2018, 12:14 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Our "societal standards" should never trump civil rights and the freedom of religion. 

The fact that the people arguing that Islamic tradition should be banned are the same people that complained that a Christian bakery couldn't discriminate against gay people is mind-boggling. Can we get just a little bit of consistency in here? At least admit that it's a Christian superiority thing, rather than a religious freedom thing.

I think you meant to type "person" instead of "people" here.  If not then you should have.  Sunset and myself are making the, fact based, argument that the burqa is symptomatic of the misogyny that is rampant among a vast number of muslims.

Quote:Of course not. We're fooling ourselves if we think that the people who are for this suddenly care about women's rights though. Just look at the people arguing for this. Are these people typically part of the women's rights crowd, or the anti-islam crowd?

One person is arguing for this, one.  Person, not people.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Denmark bans face veil: Incompatible with Danish values - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 02-08-2018, 12:57 PM