Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2015 - an 8 and 0 start - #1 in the Power Rankings – Mike & Marvin’s Peak time
(02-08-2018, 01:36 PM)depthchart Wrote: I remember watching it scroll across the bottom of the screen on NFL network in 2015.

Power Rankings #1 - Bengals

Ahead of the Patriots, Seahawks, Denver and others.  Bengals #1 Power Ranked team.

I'd wait for 5 minutes just to watch it scroll by again.  Totally stoked.  Totally amazed.

This was Mike & Marvin's Peak Time.

They actually had their Plans align into a formidable team.

Proves to me it is "possible" for them to show an aptitude for NFL Football.

It was the 5th straight Playoff year and the Peak team. Mike & Marvin were far from being "clowns" at that time.

8 and 0, number 1 in the Power Rankings. Remember that comeback win against the Seahawks.

We all know how things unraveled from there. Dalton's injury takes the wind out of every Bengal fan. Loss to Denver without MVP caliber at the time Dalton takes home field advantage in the Playoffs away. AJ fills in well but not at MVP level. Ahead of the Steelers in the playoff game with 1:27 remaining on the clock after the Jeremy Hill fumble & in field goal range, then the Burfict hit and Pac Man meltdown.

Then the 0 and 7 in the Playoffs chant begins and the Marvin can't win a Playoff game proclamations.

In fairness to Marvin, he did have them right there. Ball in Hill's hands, field goal range, 1:27 left on the clock. Fumble lost.

To me, Mike & Marvin are more than capable of winning a Playoff game and have proven that they can make consistent Playoff appearances.

I know, 0 and 7 means they never have and therefore never proven they can and therefore blah, blah, blah.

I get all that, however, they did start 8 and 0 (which is a rather rare thing for a team to do) lost an MVP caliber QB at the time and Mike & Marvin were not the ones who fumbled the ball.

Well maybe they didn't coach Hill enough on how to hang onto it or should have kneeled or blah. Or maybe Hill doesn't fumble & we still lose.

I get all of that. Heard it all a thousand times and inside and out.

Would we really be in any better place now had Jeremy Hill not fumbled leading to a Marvin Playoff game win in 2015 ?

Marvin would be 1 and 6 in the Playoffs and "actually proven" that he can win a playoff game.

To me, the 8 and 0 start and number 1 in the Power rankings already proved that they are capable of winning a Playoff game someday & could have easily done so in 2015 with say a healthy Dalton or Hill don't fumble or Burfict clean hits Brown or Pac Man keeps his cool.

But those things didn't happen, blah.  We lost, double blah.

Other coaches win when bad things happen, blah.

I get all that.

The REAL ISSUE to me is not whether they can put an 8 and 0, number 1 Power ranked team together or make 5 straight Playoff appearances or whether they are capable of maybe actually winning a Playoff game someday. I think they can.

The REAL ISSUE is that they have some sort of self imposed FUNDAMENTAL LIMITATIONS in how they put their rosters together. They make very decisive decisions to turn over the reigns of important positions like Left Tackle to unproven players or dumpster dive for linebackers or settle for marginal starters at say the Center position.

They get 90% of the way there in roster quality and don't turn on the jets to Lock Down that extra 10% of roster quality (let Whitworth go) or pass on say a better Center in a Draft because ours is "serviceable" etc.

2015 roster Peak years are few and far between is the issue to me.  (Not can Marvin win a Playoff game - he was 8 and 0)

Draft a guy that can beat out a "Penciled in starter". If he beats him out then you UPGRADED that position. If not, you have depth, if so you have depth.

Don't just settle for the "Penciled in starter".

Upgrade and PURSUE that extra 10%.  Reach for Greatness as a Front Office. It is not impossible with new thinking.

To my own rant I say "blah" and others are welcome to say "blah" to it.

Yet in my mind, Mike & Marvin have shown some capability while at the same time find ways to shoot themselves in the foot. (see Whitworth)

In the end, it is their Reputation and not mine. They have to want to PUSH to be better and not rest on 8 and 0 or 5 straight.

To end this, I say "blah" to my own rant.

Good post. I hated you, then I liked you again. I feel like a battered girlfriend.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2015 - an 8 and 0 start - #1 in the Power Rankings – Mike & Marvin’s Peak time - HarleyDog - 02-08-2018, 08:25 PM