Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Let's talk about income inequality
(05-21-2015, 10:20 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Not everybody can become a skilled worker just by "studying harder" there are different levels of intelligence and aptitude across the population. My biggest problem with low paying jobs, is if you work 40/hr weeks it should pay enough money to not have to be on food stamps or Medicaid. A full-time job should pay enough to get you above the poverty line regardless of what the job is.

A lot of our service industry people came from the manufacturing sector after most of those jobs were outsourced over the past 30 years. There just aren't enough well paying jobs for people who got screwed by big business and our government passing free trade agreements and now another one is coming down the pipe.

The thing is, if one does not have the aptitude to learn a new skill, they need to move to where there is work that they are suited for.

You can't just sit around, waiting for a handout or the phone to ring..

And, I get what you are saying about different types of intelligence. There is a skill for everyone, they just need to look within and find it. My Father never graduated HS, but he was a skilled worker, had a good job that provided well for us. I learned enough from his beatings and preaching to know that I needed to work harder to rise above his "personal hell". He wanted me to be better than a laborer, he wanted me take advantage of my intelligence, a gift that he did not have. Now, I never did achieve academic greatness. (I partied out in rebellion), but I did graduate with a B.S. in Mass Comm., which led me to a job in radio (which was no fun do to corporate bs) and then into the hands on trades. (where I actually made money). After the big crash, my business went to the toilet (as did many). I had a talk with my old man, he said I needed to go back to school and learn a new skill. I took his advice, go a degree in Land Surveying Technology. Now, (6 years later) I am finally eligible to test for certification.

So, my point is that when I speak about people and wage inequality, I speak from the real "grass roots" of working from the bottom up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's talk about income inequality - SunsetBengal - 05-21-2015, 10:24 PM