Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet
(02-15-2018, 02:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I understand that. However, the implications and inferences regarding word choice can change given the societal context the conversation is taking place in. As the article I linked to points out, it was considered a dry, neutral, academic term for decades. The current political environment has changed this, though, and being cognizant of that alteration can help us adjust our language to have more productive conversations on the topic. When words that have a political charge behind them, words that are used in propaganda, are inserted into conversations it often results in people more firmly entrenching themselves in their per-determined positions. It makes us less receptive to information, even if it is more logical or factual than what we come to the conversation with.

So when the white power or whatever use this term are they using it incorrectly?  I mean, I'm sure they use a lot of terms and we really shouldn't have to change our vocabulary every time they say something.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet - michaelsean - 02-15-2018, 03:44 PM