Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Schools Too Protective Of Kids?
(02-15-2018, 08:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: And I mean emotionally.

What I mean is do schools put labels on kids just because they might have an issue or condition that isn't truly accurate to every kid in that category but still treat them all the same?

Yesterday, I was presenting at a school and needed to ask a student to read it out loud and one student to run my PowerPoint.  I typically ask one boy and one girl and sometimes I try to ask kids who don't look as popular or as confident because it helps build their self-esteem or at least make them feel special.  Considering that, I asked a girl who was a bit heavier and looked shy how she was and just making small talk, and I could tell she it was making her happy, so I asked her if she would run my presentation, and she lights up even more and says yes.

The teacher calls me over and tells me that the girl has Autism and that I should ask someone else, which I know there's different levels of Autism and kids have different symptoms, but I still couldn't see anything.  I thought "go to hell, I'm keeping her as my helper," so I roll back over and explain all the details (there's some tricky parts that almost every kid messes up), but the girl understands it all, runs my presentation perfectly, and does a great job.

Afterwards, I always get selfies with kids who help me and anyone else that wants one, so I asked her and she just lit-up again, and then she pulled out her own phone and asked if she could take a selfie, which I obviously said yes and she lit-up even more (which didn't seem possible after the first time).

Like I said, I know kids with Autism are different a lot, but do schools make mistakes and put them all in the same category?  Are some kids unable to reach their full potential because they're labeled with Autism or anything else so they're all treated one way instead of looking at the individual child?

I talked to a teacher and he seemed to share my thoughts about it, but what does everyone else think?

Nice job and yes not just schools but society in general is overprotective it seems and it is more detrimental than helpful usually. 

Building confidence in an individual as you did is never a bad thing.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are Schools Too Protective Of Kids? - Go Cards - 02-15-2018, 09:44 PM