Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Been Awhile...This Franchise is Still a Circus...What else is New?
(02-15-2018, 02:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Welcome back Toast.  ThumbsUp

6. I'm ready to laugh at the inevitable Hobspin article that magically whittles down our cap space. It's pure comedy gold. I'm sure there will be plenty of tire kicking with tier D free agents though. Should be exciting to see all the visits we line up in week 3 of free agency.

Hey, Shakers. Thanks!

Yeah, we all know it's coming.  Good news is we can all enjoy those funny pics of the tire kicking in the offseason  I don't why, but for some reason I always chuckle every single time a single foot kicking the tire .jpeg makes an appearance. Even more so when it's posted alone, with no words.  There's just something funny about it.

Like the poor guy churns out 300-500 words of his car pamphlet, numerous posters offer up their own efforts to discuss it, yet that one single image sums it all up. The guy could poor his heart and soul out into his work, do the very best he has to work with, and no matter what, it can all be dismissed by that one silly image.

True story, which leaves wondering whether or not I feel sorry for Geoff.....

My dad goes to a Senior Center for lunch every day here on the East Side of Cincinnati.  Occasionally they have different speakers or events for the old farts, before or after the meal.  So anyways, a few weeks they had Marty Brenneman come in and speak for an hour or so.  The turnout was really high, compared to a normal lunch crowd.  I think my dad said he was told that 250 people showed for Marty, which is quite a lot for a smaller place like this.

Well, Geoff Hopbson was scheduling to speak shortly thereafter. Apparently his turnout was pretty pathetic.  Maybe 25 people total. I guess even the people that were there for their regular lunch didn't bother taking the time to walk over and check it out.  Bear in mind, these are almost all retired people, many of which have virtually nothing to do all day.  That's a pretty sad turnout given the case.

I know Marty is a much bigger icon than someone like GH. Of course he is. And older people are bigger baseball fans than football fans, but still... I guess I can't help but feel a little bad for him.  His accent alone tells me he cares very little about this franchise from an actual fan perspective.  I'm not saying he doesn't care at all, or doesn't believe anything he writes, but I'm guessing it's a job more than anything.

I just can't decide if the image of Geoff having to suck it up and publish his regularly scheduled fluff and misdirection piece is one that would show him miserable in his job, or confident in his work.  I personally can't imagine having to write the same garbage, over and over, over, knowing full well that a lot of people know it's pure bs.  To know that people routinely mock and laugh at your work.  Then, only to have to go Senior Centers, to speak to 25 old people, who have absolute no interest in hearing obvious BS from anyone about anything.  That doesn't sound fun or enjoyable.

I can't imagine being the team writer paying that damn well.  For the love of God, Geoff, go write somewhere else, find a new career, retire, do something.  Have some self-respect. Why are you still doing this?  Shocked
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Been Awhile...This Franchise is Still a Circus...What else is New? - Wes Mantooth - 02-16-2018, 02:06 AM