Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet
(02-16-2018, 11:15 AM)bfine32 Wrote: So it seems I was reading correctly. The difference between the 2 is trump's wanted total immigration reform and the bi-partisan only wants to address the dreamers.

Not quite. The bipartisan bill also addressed border security, so it focused on reducing illegal immigration as well. The big difference was the changes to legal immigration such as the diversity lottery and family-based migration.

(02-16-2018, 11:15 AM)bfine32 Wrote: My thoughts on this have not changed and fortunately it seems both plans are trending in that direction. I've always said if you were brought here as a minor and have proven to be a "good citizen' then you should have a pathway to citizenship; however, if you knowingly came here illegally as an adult: sorry about your luck.

Indeed. I will say that I was a big fan of the USA Act, which also failed in the Senate. It provided temporary legal status to "Dreamers" that were here when the original law was kicked around, and gave them a few years to complete one of three options to obtain permanent resident status: two years post-secondary education (to include trade schools), one term of enlistment in the military, or an employment requirement that I can't remember off the top of my head. Then, with permanent resident status, they would be treated as any other green card holder and have the whole five year thing to become a citizen.

The bill also provided funding for border security, specifically to assess what would be most effective in certain areas as well. The border has a lot of variation in it and so there is no one-size-fits-all solution to the entire stretch of the border. I mean, the Sonoran Desert is a natural barrier that, while people do still cross it to get here, acts as a major deterrent.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet - Belsnickel - 02-16-2018, 11:27 AM