Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"mass shootings" and "gun violence" are not the same issue.
(02-16-2018, 12:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Excellent example.  Of the 12,000 or so homicides committed with a firearm around 60-70% (possibly more) of them are criminals killing other criminals.  This means that around 4,000 people per year, who are not engaged in criminal activity, are killed per year, in a nation of 330,000,000 who own collectively around as many firearms.  It's certainly no comfort to those killed, or their families, but most people shouldn't spend two seconds worrying about being shot.

You can't just count homocides.  For every person killed by a gun there are 2 more who are shot. 

There are also multiple crimes where a gun is used but no one is shot.  There were over 120,000 armed robberies involving guns and thousands of more aggravated assaults and rapes were guns were used to threaten people.

I see alot of this spin from the NRA types who try so hard to diminish the amount of gun violence in America, but just to show how fair and balanced I am I will point out that many gun control advocates include the approximately 20K suicides committed with guns to inflate the number of "people killed by guns".

Messages In This Thread
RE: "mass shootings" and "gun violence" are not the same issue. - fredtoast - 02-16-2018, 01:32 PM