Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
whats the over/under on affairs
(02-16-2018, 06:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: What you're missing is that the United States tends towards wanting moral authorities for their leaders. Divorce among the elite is still, for the most part, seen as a failing. Trump is only the second president to have been divorced and even though we know plenty about extramarital dalliances for others it is something that the American public has typically been rather unhappy about. I think Clinton's escapades may have changed that, some. This is just the first time that American prudishness has been tested in this way since then because of the strong marriages of Bush 43 and Obama.

Hm OK. I guess from what I see (which of course is not nearly the whole picture, only small slices) this ship has also sailed. It was already tough for Democrats to point at Republicans after Clinton, it's even tougher for Republicans now after Trump to point at Democrats, and I figure these are the more likely ones to point fingers to begin with, but as I said, I'd say that has to be pretty much done for good. Times sure were different in the past, but times change, will change further and marriages will get opener and opener, whether that's disclosed or not and whether people approve of that or not. There's nothing stopping that, I believe.

(02-16-2018, 06:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I will say this, though, about infidelity claims among elected officials. If it is done behind the back of the spouse, without their knowledge and permission, then I do see it as problematic. It shows that there is a lack of loyalty in place. I don't have a problem if someone comes out and says they have an open relationship or what have you, but if your marital institution is not agreed upon in that way, then you are being disloyal to your partner. If you are willing to be disloyal to your partner, why should we believe you would be loyal to the people you have been elected to serve?

I get this reasons why one would care personally,. Then again, I have no idea what Trump and his spouse agreed upon in private, maybe fidelity was never a part of the marriage deal to begin with. Since I'm almost always in that position of not knowing I decided not to care too much - fueled by my belief that indeed private life and public life are two very different things and what drives a person in private to things like infidelity doesn't necessarily have an impact on professional/jobwise conduct. I'd go as far as to say it shouldn't count for much either, but sure that's just me. I get why one might have a different viewpoint on that.

Things are different when politicians drag out their wifes in public to emphasize an apology attempt or things like these. Thinking of it, I might agree (although that's tricky in its own way) that an open marriage arrangement should be disclosed, so the spouse doesn't appear humiliated. Melania pretty much looks humiliated at this point and that's not a good thing and it's on grabby Donald. With Trump it's difficult for me because I loathe that man so deeply on so many levels that I really can't tell how much this particular instance adds to that. His way of handling his spouse and women in general doesn't appear noble for sure, but on this I agree with those that say well people knew that about him from the beginning and he was elected anyways. So how much do Americans really care about moral authority and all that?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
whats the over/under on affairs - Griever - 02-16-2018, 11:06 AM
RE: whats the over/under on affairs - Dill - 03-07-2018, 07:21 PM
RE: whats the over/under on affairs - Dill - 03-07-2018, 09:14 PM
RE: whats the over/under on affairs - Dill - 03-07-2018, 10:58 PM
RE: whats the over/under on affairs - hollodero - 02-16-2018, 07:04 PM