Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
McCarron wins grievance, will be UFA
(02-16-2018, 05:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The best time to trade Macaroni was right after the 2015 season. Last I checked, a player's value doesn't go up as they age. Nor does it go up when they spend more and more time on the bench.

I'm far from an expert, and could be talking out my arse a bit, but always thought a younger player with years left on their deal was a much more desirable option from a trade-standpoint.

The players new team only takes on the salary and playing bonuses, NOT the signing bonus portion of the contract and cap hit (It's been paid, the cap stays on the trading teams books). So he'll come in cheaper cap wise than even his rookie deal. = PLUS.

Biggest reason though, the new team has a ridiculous amount of more leverage. When it's years (plural) on the deal, and not a single year, it opens up quite a bit. You have more time to evaluate the player if you like. And if you want to invest long-time earlier in his deal, you're going to get a better price for locking up early.

A big problem for a lot of teams, especially with QB's, is the idea that if you trade for a guy like him late in his deal you're often forced to immediately invest long-term, or you have to apply a Franchise Tag. Cuz as soon as the lone season starts, the clock is ticking.

IMHO, the perfect examples of this are guys like Kevin Kolb and Brock Osweiler.  Player has a limited resume, but is WAY overpaid. Urgency drives this as much as the market.  This is how Jimmy Garrapalo is now the highest paid player in NFL history. Guys started, what, 8 games. He was decent but not great.  Well, the Niner's had to turn around almost immediate and evaluate his future there.  And they paid for it. 

Long story short, we're in agreement on his value. Was highest after 2015. He had two years remaining (plenty of time to evaluate and plan) and he was coming off legitimate playing time, with proven, recent stats.  He just gets older, more expensive, and his game experience goes from recent and proven ti stale and dated.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: McCarron wins grievance, will be UFA - Wes Mantooth - 02-16-2018, 07:04 PM