Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last 5 years Bengals vs Steelers 1st & 2nd round pick success shapes each Franchise
(02-22-2018, 12:16 PM)depthchart Wrote: Artie Burns had an 80.8 Pro Football Focus grade in 2017 putting him 44th among all corners in his 2nd year. He is no William Jackson III but has played well enough to start every game in 2017 for the Steelers.

If I may give some advice; as a person who applied and made it to the second round of interviews+"prove it yourself," work (I pulled out, as my life at the time could not devote as much time to the job as I had initially thought) with PFF, was a subscriber from day one until the end of the 2015 season and was haevily involved with charts and number crunching back on the mothership and with others, take these words to be near-gospel:

Don't put any stock or faith in PFF's grades, whatsoever.

They are a heavily subjective service that, now that they're (partially) bankrolled and featured on NBC, skew things from the truth.

Their grades used to have wonderful context: start out at 0 in a handful of categories, differing grade levels for each outcome and performance on a play, end of the game will be above or below 0. Simple. Easy. Objective (to an extent). Add these up throughout the year and you have your cumulative grade. Simple. Easy. Objective (to an extent).

Now, they not only not tell you or DEFINE their grading scheme, but essentially, a player gets __ because he did something during the game. No context. No objectivity; plays seemingly have random weighting and people like Russell Bodine, who actually do something right for the first time ever (albeit in only 2 games that I'm talking about here), still get grades as low or lower than always.

We watch the games as fans; we see exactly what they do; why do these grades make absolutely 0 sense, whereas previously, there was some context and meaning behind them?

Therefore, TL:dr, PFF is a sham, don't take anything they say, grades-wise, with any seriousness.

One area that they were always great, but apparently have removed the past 2 years, are their stats; pressure numbers, drops, missed tackles, etc. Those were gold and highly useful.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Last 5 years Bengals vs Steelers 1st & 2nd round pick success shapes each Franchise - Truck_1_0_1_ - 02-22-2018, 03:35 PM